How to debug IPBlock?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 18:11:18 IST 2005

You are running an old version of IP Block. The current code doesn't
contain "for writing" except for in a commented out chunk of code.

As for debugging it, replace "#print STDERR" with "print STDERR" in the
code to re-enable all the debug output. That should help you quite a lot.

Do you know if it is the adding to the access db, using the db, or
cleaning up the db that is going wrong?

As for logging the speed, check out the "Log Speed" MailScanner.conf
setting.

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Julian,
>
>    I discovered that I was getting syslog entries like:
>
> IPBlock: Cannot open /var/spool/MailScanner/IPBlock.log for writing
>
> My /var/spool/MailScanner directory is chmod 700, owner root, group
> other.  I touched IPBlock.log to create it and set perms to 666,
> but no luck.
>
> Also, a minor point...  The syslog says:
>
> Read 115 IP blocking whitelist entries from /etc/MailScanner/IPBlock.conf
>                      ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Ummm, I always viewed IPBlock as a blacklist, not a whitelist...
> How about just "IP blocking entries"?
>
> Otherwise still puzzled...
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College
>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:41:43 -0400
>> From: Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu>
>> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
>> Subject: How to debug IPBlock?
>>
>> Julian,
>>
>> I spoke too soon about IPBlock.  We got slammed by one IP
>> number last night and no blocks.  If IPBlock had worked right,
>> one poor slob would not have gotten 2500 "Lender of last Resort"
>> messages from a mailing list run amok.  I've stared at my crontabs,
>> checked my IPBlock.conf file, looked at the IPBlock code
>> in lib/MailScanner (and uncommented the logfile stuff there).
>> I find zilch in IPBlock.log after I turned it on.  I also get
>> zero info out of a debug run.   How to debug this?
>>
>> My setup: Solaris 9, 4.46.2, sendmail 8.13.5.
>>
>> Also, could the final "Delivered" message have a timer on it?
>> Instead of
>>
>>   Uninfected: Delivered 10 messages
>>
>> could it say instead:
>>
>>   Uninfected: Delivered 10 messages in 3.42 seconds

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.