HIPPA password protected zip files

Ed Bruce ebruce at HPMICH.COM
Tue Oct 25 19:53:18 IST 2005

To answer more specifically your HIPAA (I assume that is what you meant)
question:

If you can set it up I would suggest you don't allow encrypted zip files
but either use encrypted emails or setup a secure ftp server. Yes I know
this is easier said then done. I face the same issue with trying to
communicate with several hundred health providers and the nightmare of
setting up, let alone teaching them all how to use encrypted email (we
don't). I'm currently looking at PostX to provide encrypted emails, but
I just don't trust the interface. Ok, I don't really understand their
implementation. I haven't found a real technical description yet, mainly
a bunch of market speak that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I would prefer the two methods I recommend, but most health care
providers just don't understand email encryption. Took me 2 months to
set up just one with a major hospital with a professional IT department.
They actually had to contract out the work to get one of their staff to
communicate with us using encrypted emails. So I can see why the PostX
solution will appeal to a lot of businesses that need to be HIPAA compliant.