Problems with wiki

Lance Haig lhaig at HAIGMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 25 15:08:02 IST 2005

Glenn I am so glad you guys know what you are talking about. :-)

I got lost there and will need to read this again later when I am not so
run down :-)

Lance

Glenn Steen wrote:

 On 25/10/05, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
(snip)

 Is it really worth me upgrading? It basically appears to work okay,
so I'm not inclined to do it. And how hard is it to upgrade? PHP apps
are often hard to upgrade in my experience.

 It's not that bad normally, if one goes from a "new" version to
another "new" version, since most (if not all) changes you'd done
would be in files that the "install" wouldn't touch anyway
(conf/local.php, conf/acl.auth.php, conf/users.auth.php and data/*
more or less)... But you'd not be able to use such a convenient
method, since there's been a slight directory reshuffle between the
verion you're at and the current version(s)...
Perhaps not a big thing, mostly a question of doing some controlled
copying etc. And I'd do it as a "stand-aside-upgrade"... mostly a
question of setting up a new one, moving the data (and relevant
configs), renaming the old one and moving the new one into place. More
or less as described on the install page at splitbrain.

I'm fairly certain you'd need go to the devel version to get the
desired options (profile handling and administrator-driven user
managing), so perhaps one should hold off a while, until Andreas
releases it into the "stable branch".

You could actually do a stopgap thing to help Lance though. You two
should get together off-list and decide a password for him, then you
could use plain ol' linux crypt to generate the "salted MD5"... If
your boxes have MD5 passwords it'd just eb to set that password on
some stray user, then copy'n'paste the cipher-string from the shadow
file into the conf/users.auth.php file. Would solve the immediate
problem and push the need for updates a bit further into the future.

Things to consider adding when you *do* update:
- enable the plugin manager (already included in modern versions)
- enable the spellchecker (already included in modern versions)
- the twikidraw plugin... Tremendoulsy useful for making simple visualizations.
- the box/boxes plugin... Rounded/colorized boxes (I'd urge you to go
for the note plugin, but I've not been able to get that one to
actually work:-). For "highlighted notes" type things.
- a nice theme/template. Simplest would be the sidebar theme, which
just add the index in a nice little sidebar on the left side (else
it's pretty much the default theme), but it'd perhaps be nice with a
propery logotyped MailScanner theme... Perhpas based on the mediawiki
tpl, or something more elaborate like roundbox.

--
-- Glenn