Poll: New logo

DAve dave.list at PIXELHAMMER.COM
Mon Oct 24 20:58:18 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:

> This appears to be the general consensus.
>
> I basically did it to see what people thought. I didn't have much idea
> what opinion most people held about the logo, and a good way to probe
> that was to open the possibility of a new one. The opinion appears to be
> that it is very good how it is, with the possible exception of the font
> used for the name. I (with some help) will be trying out a possible
> change in font, but that will only be adopted with strong agreement from
> all you folks. I'm certainly not changing the logo for the sake of it,
> don't worry. I completely agree with the opinion that logos and style
> should not be changed just to keep the graphic artists in a job. But I
> think it was definitely worth the discussion it has generated.
>
> One (well, 3) question(s) I still don't know the answer to:
> How well known is the logo, outside the people who already use it?

Hmm, unfortunately I don't know anyone else who does what I do
(locally). Other sysadmins I know are aware of MailScanner because I
told them about MailScanner.

> How widely known is MailScanner as a package?

I would think as a spam package for use with SpamAssassin, fairly well.
As a tool to hook up ClamAV, again fairly well. As a one stop shop to
handle spam/virus management, not as well.

I think it is because so many times MailScanner comes up in
conversations as "How do you run SA/clamAV/BitDefender, Etc?". ( "fairly
well" = when I mention MailScanner the name is familiar, they have heard
of it, but they know little about it other than it's reputation ).

> Are there any other packages that are known about as well as
> MailScanner, so I can get an idea of how widely it is known?

I believe MailScanner is better known than AmavisD, SimScan,
SpamAssassin-Milter. Not as well known as SpamAssassin.

> I know it is downloaded about 30,000 times per month, but how many of
> these translate into upgrades or new sites?

I would be a bad example. If I have no security issues, if the software
is working, I will not upgrade. I am still running a several month old
version on my servers (4.37.7). I don't use the functions/features that
have issues or have been added since my last upgrade. For the features I
have enabled, it works.

"If it ain't broke....... Don't fix it"

DAve