Poll: New logo -- concepts

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 24 17:41:57 IST 2005

On 24/10/05, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> What would anyone think of the old logo with the new text font?
>
> I agree with someone's thought that the text looks like an old
> typewriter. But maybe age ==> stability ==> reliability? (==> is "implies")

Yes. As in "Yes, it 'inspires' that". Leave the whizbang things to the kids:-).
I might be terribly oldfashioned, but I actually like the *whole* old
logo... Including ref to the website.

> The MailScanner logo has to say "reliable and trustworthy" as well as
> "safe and speedy" which is what the shield device implies at the moment.
> Is "new and zippy" compatible with "reliable and trustworthy"? Is "new"
> even a concept we should consider at all? "Old" ==> "staid and solid and
> traditional".
>
> It's all about working out what graphics imply what concepts, and what
> concept we want to associate with MailScanner, and more importantly what
> concepts we do *not* want to associate with it.

old logo:
Shield == Security
"lines" == speed
"the rest" == info on what it is about (aha, mail protection) and
where to get it ... And what it's named.

I don't see the new ones as carrying much of that:-).

> I have no training in marketing, but I think this is the basic idea.
>
> Joost Waversveld wrote:
>
> > I don't think it is wise to have two logo's... It can cause confusion....
> >
> > I would keep it by the old one... Just my 2 cents...
> >

> >> How about a compromise?
> >>
> >> Keep the existing logo. Use the new logo for some new things and let
> >> people
> >> choose to use whichever logo they are happy with?
> >>
> >> Or did I miss something?
> >>
> >> It's not like Spam Assassin that had a hideous logo until the
> >> redesign last
> >> year
> >>
> >> Just my 2 cents

> >> Mr Michele Neylon
> >> Blacknight Solutions
> >> Quality Business Hosting & Colocation
> >> http://www.blacknight.ie/
> >> Tel. 1850 927 280
> >> Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
> >> UK: 0870 163 0607
> >> Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
> >> Fax. +353 (0) 59  9164239
> >>
> >> ------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
> >> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
> >> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
> >> the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
> >>
> >> Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!

> > 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
> > Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
> > the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

> - --
> Julian Field