E-mail encryption

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 18:23:16 IST 2005

Venkata Achanta wrote:

>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/Presentation/2003JANETCERTConfere
>nce_files/frame.htm
>
>see slide 14

Good heavens! Somebody read one of my presentations! If you want the
source of the presentations, then look in
"www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/Presentations" (capital P).

>Encrypted E-Mail
>
>^ÕCan selectively enforce or ban use of encrypted email between addresses
>^ÕWill save public keys from email messages allowing future automatic
>encryption to be implemented if needed
>
>Is anybody using these features ? If yes, can you share your experiences
>about this feature especially the "automatic encryption".

This is code I wrote for 1 site a long time ago, and it is currently
disabled with a comment.
Edit SweepContent.pm and look for "ExtractPublicKeys". You will find a
call to that which is commented out. Remove the # from that line and the
"if" line below it.

In MailScanner.conf add 2 options:
Archive Public Keys = yes
Public Key Archive Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/keys
and do
mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/keys
and make sure that the "Run As User" can read+write the directory.

Then restart MailScanner and it will start generating files in that
directory named after the date and the sender address, each containing
the data extracted from the message.

I hope that all works.

Can someone put this into the wiki please?

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.