spam filtering ceased

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 15 12:59:43 IST 2005

Have you considered just upgrading to the latest versions of MailScanner
and spamassassin?
It might well be the quickest way out of your trouble. But first make
sure /usr/bin/perl points to the latest version of Perl that is
installed on your machine. You don't want to install in 1 perl and then
run another.

If you haven't got "MailScanner -v" working, then you have a pretty
ancient version. If your SA is that old then an upgrade to the latest
would help too. Upgrade SA using the ClamAV+SA package that I distribute
on the MailScanner downloads page. It will save you a lot of time than
doing it by hand.

Dan Stromberg wrote:

>Hi folks.
>
>I looked around on gmane a bit for a solution to this, but I really only
>found someone with the same question and no answers.  Googling for this
>one seems messy, as I'm not sure what keywords to use this time.
>
>Anyway, I run a mail server, and someone else was tasked with setting up
>mailscanner on it.  He's on vacation, and doesn't appear to have any doc
>written up.
>
>This mail server, I'm told, has suddenly stopped doing antispam
>filtering.
>
>I tried killing and restarting all the sendmail's and mailscanner, but
>that's not (necessarily) helping.
>
>I'd really benefit from two things:
>
>        1) A decision procedure for determining if antispam filtering is
>        functional again.  For example, can I just search for a recent message
>        with antispam headers, or is it more complicated than that?
>
>        2) A procedure for determining what happened to the antispam
>        filtering
>
>I attempted "MailScanner -v" as mentioned in another post, but that just
>said something about configuration file -v not existing.
>
>I also attempted the lint-related spamassassin command mentioned in the
>same post, but I recall the person who set this up saying that
>spamassassin is used via a perl module, and I have no spamassassin's on my
>$PATH.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Thanks!

>Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and