Best practice

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT
Thu Oct 13 10:36:12 IST 2005

Martin Hepworth wrote:

>Hi
>
>Double file extensions still catch anough viruses etc for me before the AV
>people update to it useful..
>
>This then becomes an education issue... advise people not to put dots in
>filesnames as many anti-virus gateways will not them through as they are a
>potential virus.
>
>--
>Martin Hepworth
>Snr Systems Administrator
>Solid State Logic
>Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

Ho do you feel about  mycode.c.old or mydocs.tar.gz, or
mydata.20051009.txt ???

It's hard tell anyone that he can't send a project in development to
someone else because there are double dotted filenames, without concerning
the real content.

This was the start point for our discussion, then my doubt on that rule.
Could  be a 'better performance' rule, but there are real attacks
catched ONLY by that rule ?

For now i've not found any attacks singularly catched by the double-dot
rule, but...

--
Dott. Mag. Sergio Rabellino

 Technical Staff