Traffic Backup for security propose.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 17:59:43 IST 2005

Aslan Carlos de Medeiros Ramos wrote:

> Hi  Julian,
> Thanks for help me, this option "Archive Mail" it's my solution, but I
> can't understand the rules,
> there say
> # Space-separated list of any combination of
> # 1. email addresses to which mail should be forwarded,
> # 2. directory names where you want mail to be stored,
> # 3. file names (they must already exist!) to which mail will be appended
> #    in "mbox" format suitable for most Unix mail systems.
> #
> # If you give this option a ruleset, you can control exactly whose mail
> # is archived or forwarded. If you do this, beware of the legal
> implications
> # as this could be deemed to be illegal interception unless the police
> have
> # asked you to do this.
> (Where a put the 1,2 or 3 sayed above)?

It means you can have a list containing any of the 3 options given.

> I'd make a file rule follow a exemple
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/achive.rules
> FromOrTo:    user at domain.com        /var/spool/MailScanner/achive/user
> above is append all the traffic from or to to the file user in the one
> dir, but my problem is , I need to order by date
> exemple : /var/spool/MailScanner/user/$date/in or out .
> Any Idea?

If you had a recent version, you would see this comment as well:

# Any of the items above can contain the magic string _DATE_ in them
# which will be replaced with the current date in yyyymmdd format.
# This will make archive-rolling and maintenance much easier, as you can
# guarantee that yesterday's mail archive will not be in active use today.

So if you wanted to save the mail for user at domain.com then you could put
Archive Mail = /var/spool/MailScanner/user/_DATE_/mail

You need to upgrade your MailScanner.

> Thanks for all,
> Aslan Carlos
>

> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:18 -0300, Aslan Carlos de Medeiros Ramos wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>> And Sorry it my first email.
>>

>> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 14:01 +0100, Julian Field wrote:
>>
>>> Just use the "Archive Mail" feature.
>>>

>>> And please always set your reply-to to be the mailing list (or don't
>>> set it at all). There is little point having a discussion in replies
>>> are not sent to the list. And people like me get very annoyed having
>>> to add the list address to the recipient list of all the replies to
>>> people like you.

>>> --
>>> Julian Field
>>> www.MailScanner.info
>>> Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
>>> <http://www.MailScanner.info/store>
>>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>>>

>>> ------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
>>> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>>> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
>>> and the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
>>>
>>> *Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!*
>>
>> --
>> Aslan Carlos de Medeiros Ramos <aslan at aeon.com.br
>> <mailto:aslan at aeon.com.br>>
>> Aeon Technologies
>>

>> ------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
>> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
>> and the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
>>
>> *Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!*
>
> --
> Aslan Carlos de Medeiros Ramos <aslan at aeon.com.br
> <mailto:aslan at aeon.com.br>>
> Aeon Technologies

> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
> and the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
>
> *Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!*

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.