OT - Which greylist milter

James Gray james at GRAYONLINE.ID.AU
Sun Oct 9 22:47:01 IST 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 20:56, Stef Morrell wrote:
> James Gray [james at GRAYONLINE.ID.AU] wrote:
> Postgrey works somewhat differently. Rather than auto-whitelisting by
> recipient, it auto-whitelists by server, which IMHO is more sensible. In
> the scenario above, after the first email from Jenny, fubar.bar's
> incoming mail server would trust mail from snafu.foo's outgoing server
> and thus accept mail for both Barry and Fred.
>
> > Education is the key I think, but we all know how reluctant
> > lusers are to have $CLUE imparted.
>
> I find that the general response... "Your email has been delayed, it
> will come through soon, it's to help reduce your spam." ...works pretty
> well. Anything which gives users less crap tends to be well received,
> even if there is a slight inconvenience.

Wow - can I have your users please? ;)  Our users seem to behave more like my
2 year old daughter; they don't know what's best for them, even after you
tell them why $FOO is a good thing.

Still, I /think/ milter-greylist can be configured as you describe postgrey.
Either way we have implemented the same sort of function by whitelisting our
main customers' SMTP machines.  The sendmail milter doesn't arbitrarily
whitelist due to the domain in the envelope or From header, it uses a DNS
lookup to figure out if the originating IP (remote SMTP host) is part of the
whitelisted domains and if so there's no delay.  The drawback is that some
big customers have broken DNS too - in which case they deserve all the delays
they get IMHO.

Even though the same functionality has been achieved, it's not automatic so in
some ways I think the Postfix greylist is probably a better "fit" for us.
Pity we sendmail in this case :(

Thanks for the insights.

Cheers,

James
--
Can anyone remember when the times were not hard, and money not scarce?