CentOS 4.1 final w/posix lock still having issues

Richard D Alloway ralloway at WINBEAM.COM
Thu Oct 6 15:17:54 IST 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Kevin Spicer wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:17 -0400, Richard D Alloway wrote:
>> But, I still get deliveries with the dreaded "Message body disappears" errors.
>> What should I look for at this point?
>
> Wild shot in the dark, from the one time I saw this myself (very long
> time ago).  Make sure that sendmail is being started from the
> MailScanner startup scripts and that you have the noetrn option on in
> that startup script (its there by default so it should be...).  Also
> worth grepping the logs for etrn, just in case the command line option
> isn't being honoured for some reason.  You don't want to let folks use
> etrn!
>
> Probably not your problem, but doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it doesn't look like etrn is the issue.  We
don't have anyone using etrn at all on any of our mail servers at this point
and the noetrn option is in the MailScanner startup script.  Also, the only
reference to etrn in the logs are lines like:

Oct  6 09:59:55 smtp-gateway-5 sendmail[22406]: j96DxtOg022406:
[218.68.xxx.xxx] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

So, there's still something going on that I'm not aware of...

Any other thoughts? :)

-Rich