securing relay...

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:12:42 IST 2005

On 05/10/05, JD Doelitzsch <jd at baritec.com> wrote:
> Thanks again guys, I checked the relay using those site and it seems to be
> secure. I think what might be happening is my MS box takes any email then
> forwards it to my winbox which will accept or deny depending on if there is
> such a user. If no user my MS box tries to return to sender and so it looks
> like spam is going out. Is this a possible scenario? would this generate
> enough returned email that is spam to blacklist me? I am considering using
> milter-ahead as a possible fix. What do you think?
>
> -JD
Yes, well ... if you check the archives to this list you'll find a lot
about this ("NDR-spam", "backwash", whatever). You could be
"originating" a hefty amount of spam, yes. But, to my knowledge, no
BLs blacklist this type of behaviour as such ... yet (but then, you
might be the first ... :-)..
At least for postfix, this is documented in the wiki
(http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to:reject_non_existent_users))
 ... using milter-ahead seems to be a reasonable way of fixing this
for sendmail.

--
-- Glenn