Anti-virus woes...

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAINSURANCE.COM
Tue Nov 29 22:50:48 GMT 2005

Greetings list...

Since my last update I've noticed no viruses being flagged (I normally get
postmaster notifications). I was running only ClamAV.

So today I thought I'd add the command line bitdefender (BDC) scanner and
then take my time to figure out why ClamAV was not working as usual.
(Luckily MailScanner's filename and filetype rules are hitting and
quarantining the viruses).

Installed BDC successfully. Then edited virus.scanners.conf to reflect this:
(pertinent lines only shown)
bitdefender     /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper /opt/bdc
clamav          /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper     /usr

Then an unsuccessful test of the wrapper:

[root at gw-mail bdc]# /usr/lib/MailScanner/bitdefender-wrapper /opt/bdc
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/ (may wrap... there is a space between
/opt/bdc and /var)
cat: /tmp/log.bdc.29564: No such file or directory
rm: cannot lstat `/tmp/log.bdc.29564': No such file or directory

Perhaps a permissions problem??? I'm clueless...

So I thought I'd insure the BDC scanner was working ok from the command
line:

[root at gw-mail bdc]# bdc /var/spool/MailScanner//quarantine/
BDC/Linux-Console v7.1 (build 2559) (i386) (Jul  6 2005 16:28:53)
Copyright (C) 1996-2004 SOFTWIN SRL. All rights reserved.

Warning: no scan option defined; using defaults

A bunch of lines snipped here... all the files that MS had quarantined due
to filetype/name rules... thanks Julian!

Results:
Folders           :228
Files             :436
Packed            :9
Infected files    :208
Suspect files     :0
Warnings          :0
Identified viruses:5
I/O errors        :0
Files/second      :18
Scan time         :00:00:24

Appears to be fine but I see no mentions of BDC in the maillog even after
doing an update_virus_scanners (I do see "found ClamAV installed and that it
doesn't need an update but no mention of BDC.)

So then I thought I'd try the ClamAV wrapper...

[root at gw-mail MailScanner]# /usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper /usr
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/