Throughput

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 25 15:58:04 GMT 2005

On 25/11/05, Wayne <wayne at nightsol.net> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Im getting a throughput of around 35-40k messages per day max
> The server is a dual p3 600Mhz with 1gig RAM
> Max Children is set as 14..
> Running on Fedora Core 2 with postfix and clamav for antivirus
>
> Does this sound about right? Its barley keeping up with loads
> And sometimes falls behind..
> Load averages are always between 3-7
> Do I need a new server or is there some way I can get more out of this one
> with current hardware?
>
> Thanks,
>  Wayne

I'll chime in with the ones that tell you to do less to do more:-).
During the last Sober outbreak, we avoided handling most by simply
rejecting mails to non-existant user (as detailed here:
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to:reject_non_existent_users).
Well, that's been in place for a while now (more than a year), and
"saves" me from handling ... a lot of messages. I also employ some
semi-harsh restrictions on how HELO/EHLO is done... I reject any
non-fqdn and anyone pretending to be on my domain (works, since
trusted clients, like our M-Sexchanger, are handled by a
permit_mynetwork thing)... That coupled with some restrictions on
senders and recipients (fqdn etc) make only really well-behaved virus
and spam mails get through to MS.

All it'll cost you is a little effort in configuring PF and getting
hold of the existing user addresses (assuming you've not got anything
like that setup already), and it might buy your machine some lifespan
enhancement:-).

--
-- Glenn