ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Nov 22 16:27:09 GMT 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:

>>> Why not just ln -f -s /MailScannerPath/etc/spamassassin.prefs.conf
>>> site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf?
>>

>> So all I need to do is add a link to spam.assassin.prefs.conf in
>> site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf ?
>> This sounds like this whole entire problem could be solved with 1
>> soft link.
>> Is that really all I need to do?
>

> I don't think so, time and again Matt has insisted on NOT soft linking
> sa-prefs.conf to local.cf (and if i understand correctly any *.cf file)
> a. Due to the problems already discussed in this thread
> b. SA probably using the same file twice, unless mailscanner ceases to
> use sa.prefs.conf
> But, i am obviously not Matt (and am quite likely to misunderstand sa's
> internal working) and also am sure he prefers to speak for himself.
> - dhawal

That's a correct analysis. If you soft-link the file, under the existing MS
code, you'll end up double-parsing the file.

For most options this is irrelevant, but for a few options this could cause
subtle misbehaviors. (ie: report template commands, trusted_networks, and other
commands that concatenate instead of clobber.)