ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Tue Nov 22 16:29:44 GMT 2005

Julian Field writes:
>>> If I create a mailscanner.cf in there, and put everything from
>>> spam.assassin.prefs.conf in it, and just softlink that mailscanner.cf
>>> and spam.assassin.prefs.conf, then does this do the Right Thing(TM)?
>>
>> Why not just ln -f -s /MailScannerPath/etc/spamassassin.prefs.conf
>> site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf?
>
> So all I need to do is add a link to spam.assassin.prefs.conf in
> site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf ?
>
> This sounds like this whole entire problem could be solved with 1
> soft link.
>
> Is that really all I need to do?

I don't think so, time and again Matt has insisted on NOT soft linking
sa-prefs.conf to local.cf (and if i understand correctly any *.cf file)

a. Due to the problems already discussed in this thread
b. SA probably using the same file twice, unless mailscanner ceases to use
sa.prefs.conf

But, i am obviously not Matt (and am quite likely to misunderstand sa's
internal working) and also am sure he prefers to speak for himself.

 - dhawal