ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Tue Nov 22 15:09:34 GMT 2005

Hi Julian,

> On 22 Nov 2005, at 12:00, Rick Cooper wrote:
> >
> > Julian, this code works :
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > use Mail::SpamAssassin ;
> > my $test = Mail::SpamAssassin->new();
> > my $siterules = $test->{site_rules_filename};
> > $siterules ||= $test->first_existing_path
> > (@Mail::SpamAssassin::site_rules_path);
> > print "Site Rules Path : $siterules\n";
>
> Presumably, as I need a directory, I don't want to do the
> site_rules_filename bit. So I end up with just
>
> use Mail::SpamAssassin;
> $a = new Mail::SpamAssassin;
> print "site rules is \"";
> print $a->first_existing_path (@Mail::SpamAssassin::site_rules_path);
> print "\"\n";
>
> If I create a mailscanner.cf in there, and put everything from
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf in it, and just softlink that mailscanner.cf
> and spam.assassin.prefs.conf, then does this do the Right Thing(TM)?

I am not too sure it does.  SpamAssassin works with the concept of
two files, a 'site' config and a 'user' config.  Some configuration
settings should go in the 'site' config and others in a 'user'
config.

The site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf file should be for site wide
config options.

The spam.assassin.prefs file should be for options that are only
applicable when running MailScanner.

For instance you might want to adjust certain timeouts for running
SpamAssassin under MailScanner but not from the command line.

I think Matt expressed this in more detail earlier.

If it was generally felt that having only one file was the best way
forward I would agree with your scheme above.  But I still have a
feeling that the two files better match how SA expects to work.

> So people expecting to find spam.assassin.prefs.conf will still have
> it, but the real file will be in mailscanner.cf in the
> site_rules_path directory.
>
> When they upgrade by RPM, what should I do? Once they have the
> mailscanner.cf in place, it's easy. It's the first upgrade to the new
> structure that I have to handle carefully. Any ideas?
>
> Is *everyone* happy with this? If not, what would be better and why?
>
> - --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info

> believed to be clean.

> mailscanner' in the body of the email. Before posting, read the Wiki
> (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and the archives
> (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

Anthony Peacock
"Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a
revolving door." - Melissa O'Brien