ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Tue Nov 22 11:20:46 GMT 2005

Hi Julian,

> On 22 Nov 2005, at 10:17, Anthony Peacock wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> >> I would suggest using mailscanner.cf as a filename. This way you
> >> are unlikely to muck-up a user's already existing local.cf file.
> >>
> >> (SA will automatically parse *.cf in the site rules dir, so both
> >> will get parsed. Since parsing is in alphabetic order, and
> >> last-parsed wins, options in mailscanner.cf will over-ride options
> >> in local.cf)
> >
> > I would agree with this as a suggestion.  It would also mean that
> > the MailScanner sitewide config options would be picked up by the
> > command line SpamAssassin utilities.  That way when someone wanted
> > to test a email against SpamAssassin they would be using the same
> > configuration.  The same goes for using sa-learn.
> >
> > As well as doing this the comments at the top of the
> > spam.assassin.prefs file should make it clear that a new sitewide
> > .cf file has been created so that admins can check that it is not
> > overiding anything that is already set up and working.
>
> I entirely agree. One request though: I have been trying to dig
> through the SA data structures to work out how to get at the
> properties mentioned to calculate the directory path names so I know
> where to put the mailscanner.cf file. I can't figure it out.
>
> Can someone (Matt perhaps?) please try and work it out for me? Can't
> get my head around it today.

I did have a look at this briefly this morning, but had to move on to
more pressing work matters.  I will have another look later.

The one thing I did find in the documentation is the definition of
the search list that SpamAssassin itself uses:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/dist/doc/spamassassin.html#c
onfiguration_files

(Excuse the wrapping).

I haven't seen an easy way of getting out of the code the directory
that SpamAssassin has decided to use.

--
Anthony Peacock
"Screens are sometimes called displays because they