ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Tue Nov 22 10:17:55 GMT 2005

Hi,

> Julian Field wrote:
> > Therein lies the problem. I could run the "spamassassin" or
> > "sa-learn" script to try to find out, but I equally well won't know
> > where they are, they may not be on the $PATH (e.g. Solaris).
> >
> > But if we say I can find the "spamassassin" script (I'll work on
> > that), then which of these lines is the one that states the
> > directory I should be using? And what should the file be called? Is
> > it local.cf or something else? I need to get this right this time.
>
> I would suggest using mailscanner.cf as a filename. This way you are
> unlikely to muck-up a user's already existing local.cf file.
>
> (SA will automatically parse *.cf in the site rules dir, so both will
> get parsed. Since parsing is in alphabetic order, and last-parsed
> wins, options in mailscanner.cf will over-ride options in local.cf)

I would agree with this as a suggestion.  It would also mean that the
MailScanner sitewide config options would be picked up by the command
line SpamAssassin utilities.  That way when someone wanted to test a
email against SpamAssassin they would be using the same
configuration.  The same goes for using sa-learn.

As well as doing this the comments at the top of the
spam.assassin.prefs file should make it clear that a new sitewide .cf
file has been created so that admins can check that it is not
overiding anything that is already set up and working.

> mailscanner' in the body of the email. Before posting, read the Wiki
> (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and the archives
> (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

Anthony Peacock
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby