ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 17:49:21 GMT 2005

Okay, I understand that I shouldn't be putting site-wide settings in
spam.assassin.prefs.conf as it stands. Is there any way of
(a) telling SpamAssassin to use spam.assassin.prefs.conf as a site-wide
settings file,
or
(b) working out automatically exactly where the site-wide settings
should go on any given installation. On things like Solaris the correct
location is damn near impossible to find. Telling people to go and edit
their site-wide SpamAssassin settings file is not much use. I need to be
able to work out the precise location of the best file to use, and do
the necessary editing for them in the install script. That's why I have
always done it the way I have. It pretty much worked okay, and the file
was in an easy-to-find location that (1) I could work out and (2) users
would be able to find it again later if they needed to change something
6 months later when they had forgotten what the install script told them.

An ideal solution would be a soft-link in the MailScanner/etc directory
to the real location of the file. But I still have to find the real file.

All constructive ideas are most welcome.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.