MailScanner on freebsd

Marc Dufresne Marc.Dufresne at PARKS.ON.CA
Mon Nov 21 15:57:27 GMT 2005

My apologies for the private discussions. Didn't realize I posted to the
forum.

Sendmail is running on port 25. Sendmail is acting as a Relay for my
domain. I have no problem sending/receiving internet e-mail. The two
problems I am having are:

1- MailScanner doesn't seem to be scanning inbound mail.

2- local mail sent to root and postmaster is not being delivered. The
/var/spool/clientmqueue is backing up with e-mails sent to root and
postmaster.

Here's what /var/spool/maillog is saying

mail sm-msp-queue[1655]: i24AKJeL005105: to=postmaster,
delay=10:33:28,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=1023910, relay=[127.0.0.1],
dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

I issued the command sendmail -v root </dev/null. This is the error I'm
receiving.

root....connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay
root....Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

I have modified my /etc/mail/access to reflect

127.0.0.1                      RELAY
localhost.localdomain    RELAY
localhost                        RELAY

Issued a makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access. Restarted
sendmail and still receive the Connection Refused error.

Any ideas?

I want to fix problem 2 first, eliminating the connection refused
errors. Then I want to move onto the MailScanner problem.

Marc Dufresne, Corporate IT Officer
St. Lawrence Parks Commission
13740 County Road 2
Morrisburg, ON  K0C 1X0

E-mail: Marc.Dufresne at parks.on.ca
Voice: 613-543-3704  Ext#2455
Fax: 613-543-2847
Corporate website: www.parks.on.ca

Marc Dufresne wrote:
> Couldn't download any of your sample files. None of the links to
your
> files work.

Looking a the links,  I'm not surprised.

The way you are quoting is making it very hard to follow.  Please avoid

having private discussions while using a public mailing list and don't

top-post.

> From the command line, if I issue sendmail -v root </dev/null
> I receive this error,
>
> root....connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay
> root....Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

Is sendmail running?

On what port/IP is it running on?

> What files do I need to modify under /etc/mail?

Are you familiar with Sendmail or other MTAs?

Regards,

Ugo

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html

>> Section 23.4.2.3 <http://23.4.2.3> FreeBSD 5.0-STABLE and Later
>>
>> /etc/rc.conf
>>
>> sendmail_enable="NO"
>> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
>> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
>> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
>>
>> 2) #Load MailScanner at system startup.
>> #Make sure mailscanner.sh file is located under /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>> in order to load MailScannner process at startup. Mailscanner.sh
> should
>> invoke sendmail and mailscanner process to start
scanning/delivering

--
Ugo

irrelevant parts in your replies.