message from mailscanner: ignoring text in character set

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 09:14:54 GMT 2005

On 11 Nov 2005, at 00:46, Warren Burstein wrote:

> I'm making some progress with the error I mentioned earlier this
> week.  I've noticed that a handler for all character sets gets
> installed at some point (this happens three different places in
> Message.pm), but isn't in place when the first batch of emails is
> processed, and I'm trying to figure out why.
>
> I'm also puzzled by the subroutine FixMaliciousSubjects in
> SweepContent.pm.  What sort of harm can the Subject line do?  And
> in particular, what harm can be caused by trailing whitespace,
> removed on line 252?
>              $newsubject =~ s/\s*$//g;

You are going to love this one. You can put MIME headers with
embedded ^M characters into the Subject: which means you can actually
put an attachment into the Subject: line. Outlook Express will
actually extract this as a valid attachment.

The other reason is that if Outlook Express sees an attachment with
no filename, it uses the contents of the Subject: as the filename.
Therefore all the filename attacks (blah.jpg.exe and all the others)
should be checked for in the Subject: line as well.

> I think that this can cause a problem if an encoded subject line
> had a trailing space.  I don't see any problem with removing the
> trailing space, except that the subject line won't get re-encoded,
> and so you may wind up with 8-bit characters in the Subject line
> (instead of turning them into quoted-printable or base64), and if
> the character set isn't your default one, the MUA could display it
> in the wrong charset.  The way this happens is that
> FixMaliciousSubjects removes the trailing whitespace, and since
> $newsubject is no longer equal to $subject, it sets $message->
> {subjectwasunsafe}.  That makes one of the Deliver... functions in
> Message.pm replace the Subject: to what FixMaliciousSubjects
> changed it.
>
> I noticed this by chance - I was shortening a word-encoded subject
> just to save space, and happened to cut it off at a space - hard to
> see when it's encoded - and when it got to my mailbox it was no
> longer encoded, and missing the character set.  What was sent said
>   Subject: =?windows-1255?B?5fjp5fog?=
> but what got delivered to the mailbox was
>   Subject: \345\370\351\345\372
>
> Warren Burstein wrote:
>

>> I'm running MailScanner-4.47.4-2 on  CentOS release 3.4 (which I
>> understand is a derivative of Redhat Enterprise Edition).
>>
>> When I run MailScanner in Debug mode, if a message is in the queue
>> with a subject containing text in windows-1255, I see the
>> following message:
>>
>> ignoring text in character set `WINDOWS-1255'
>> at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Sendmail.pm line 359
>>
>> I searched the archives and found in http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-
>> bin/wa.exe?A2=ind02&L=MAILSCANNER&P=R309317&I=-3 that there was a
>> similar message in 2002 regarding windows-1252, and it was fixed.
>> I also read that this was not something to worry about, so I'm not
>> worrying, but I like to get rid of error messages so that if there
>> is a real problem it will stand out.
>>
>> So, if anyone remembers what was done to make this work for
>> windows-1252, could you tell me, and I'll see if I can do likewise
>> for 1255?
>>
>> thanks

- --
Julian Field