sophos-wrapper IDE directory

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Wed Nov 9 12:47:13 GMT 2005

Hi,

That makes sense.  In that case I would agree that a wrapper that
worked with a standard install of Sophos as well as the one that
works with the MailScanner update scripts would be useful.

The EM stuff is a bit of a red herring, as I have only just updated
the Solaris boxes to use it.  I had the same issue when working with
the standard install of Sophos.

I realise that MailScanner is very much geared up to install and
configure the whole system these days, inc SpamAssassin, ClamAV, MTA
etc.  But I had a lot of these installed (to their default places)
_before_ I installed MailScanner, and I am not ready to adopt a
completely new way of working.  It seems to me that there are
probably other people who also like to work with the separate
packages.

> MailScanner mailing list wrote:
> > I notice that the sophos-autoupdate script also looks in this
> > directory.
>
> Yes it does...
>
> > I don't use this to update as I am using the EM Library
> > to manage updates across the department.
>
> That'll be the difference...
>
> Ignore the fact that I have /opt/local/sophos for my $PackageDir,
> which is a link to the installed version...
>
> $ ls -l /opt/local/sophos
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Nov  9 10:30 /opt/local/sophos ->
> sophos.397 $ ls -l /opt/local/sophos.397/ total 28 drwxr-xr-x  2 root
> root 12288 Nov  9 12:01 397.200511091201 drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096
> Sep 14 10:19 bin lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    34 Nov  9 12:01 ide ->
> /opt/local/sophos/397.200511091201 drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Sep
> 14 10:37 lib
>
> The "ide" link is created by the update script after it has downloaded
> the IDE files and put them in the <version>.<timestamp> directory.
>
> > My question is, does other installs of Sophos put the IDE files in
> > the ide directory?  In which case should there be some form of check
> > for OS?  If this is the default for all installs, can the sophos-
> > wrapper script be updated to reflect this?
>
> I'd suggest that the existing wrapper script be left as-is but there
> is potential for an additional one for use with SophosEM.
>
> just my 2c,
>
> Gary

> mailscanner' in the body of the email. Before posting, read the Wiki
> (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and the archives
> (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

Anthony Peacock
"Computer  software  consists of  only  two  components:
ones and zeros, in roughly equal proportions.   All that is
required is to sort them into the correct order.