email being rejjjcted fro unknown domains

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Mon Nov 7 21:29:59 GMT 2005

This is normal. You should see some lines like the ones below in you
sendmail ".mc" file:

dnl # We strongly recommend not accepting unresolvable domains if you want
dnl # to protect yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on
computers
dnl # that do not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
dnl #
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

But this is the typical configuration on most gateways and you probably do
to want to accept email from un-resolvable domains. If you really want to
turn this off change the line to:

dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

And use m4 to rebuild your .cf from the .mc file. Then restart sendmail.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.
stephen.swaney at fsl.com