email being rejjjcted fro unknown domains

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Nov 7 21:30:26 GMT 2005

Lance Haig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> me again ;-)
>
> I have just setup  my new MS box ( replacing the one I had under my desk
> at home with one in a hosted facility)
>
> I have set one of my test domains to point to the new IP and when I send
> mail I get the following error.
>
> reject=553 5.1.8 <Lance.Haig at domain.com>... Domain of sender address
> Lance.Haig at domain.com does not exist.
>
> Where is MS checking this?

It's not that's Sendmail..

Mailscanner CANNOT reject mail during the SMTP session due it it's design,
therefore anything related to SMTP 4xx and 5xx error codes can not involve
MailScanner.

look up the accept_unresolvable_domains feature in your sendmail.mc..

by default Sendmail will not accept mail with an unresolvable return path unless
this is enabled.