How to debug IPBlock?

Steffan Henke henker at S-H-COM.DE
Thu Nov 3 16:49:38 GMT 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> IPBlock.  It has been in the code for a while, works great, provided
> you don't have stupid typos in your IPBlock.conf file.

When Julian released the latest MS on Nov 1st, I decided to gave IPBlock a
try for the first time. I'm using a temporary hash file, not the "real"
access.db.
So, over the last couple of days I watch the contents of that file and
noticed that some entries are never purged by the cronjob.
They were added when I changed to a low default, say 10 mails/hour and
afterwards added to the whitelist (1000/hour).

Let's say, my IPBlock.conf looks like this:

# Whitelists
192.168.1.100       10    # MX
#default
default 1000

Now, in the hash file, I have an entry
MX "451 Site blocked by MailScanner due to excessive email"

where MX is the real hostname of the MX, not the IP.
It never gets removed from the access file.

I really think it's a great feature, I just fear that someday, I may block
hosts without ever taking notice of.

Regards,

Steffan