System load is very high because of MailScanner

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Fri May 27 22:26:00 IST 2005

BG Mahesh wrote:
> hi
>
> We are using the following config
>
> RedHat Linux [512MB RAM, dual processor]
> MailScanner 4.41.3
> SA 3.0.3
> ClamAV 0.85.1
>
> Our load average is always above 1 :-( Usually 3-6 :-( When I do 'top' I see MailScanner using anwywhere from 10-99% of CPU.
>
> We get about 10k emails per day.
>
> How do I detect what could be going wrong?

Could you try some more ram?
If you are using tmpfs, half of your ram can get busy very easy, and
cause the system to swap. Especially if you are running 5 children per
processor like the config file suggests.

--
| A beer doesn't get  >--|===`-----'I `---' I |  |:
| upset if you come  /  _ \         I       I |  |:'
| home with another /  (   `-,----============:__;:
:/