OT (again): SA-SPF opinion

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu May 26 21:09:23 IST 2005

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Steve Campbell wrote:
>> I'm thinking about catching up and implementing SPF. I find that I
>> must use SRS also. Although it doesn't look that difficult to put in
>> place, other than deciding what my TXT records should say, I'm
>> wondering about one aspect of this all.
>
> Setting SPF DNS records is definitely worth the effort.  The more
> people will have SPF records, the better the results will be on our
> spam filters.
>

>> Does the SPF facility in SA mimic what sendmail would perform using
>> spfmilter on the receipt end of things? Can anyone offer an idea of
>> what might be a good solution to all of this and what they might be
>> using with a sendmail 8.12 box? There seems to be a very limited set
>> of tools to use for all of this.
>
> I felt that SA's SPF rules are not very convincing, and I didn't feel
> like playing with the scores, so I implemented spfmilter.  I decided
> to block any message that would have a 'fail' result.
>
> I have written a doc for implementing the milter on FC1, please let me
> know if you want to see it.

Ugo,

Yes, please let me know how to receive the document. Did you also use some
form of SRS also? I understand this is required for forwarding to a server
that checks SPF and hard fails them.

> I have a low-volume server, but about 3% of incoming mail are blocked
> at the MTA level by this milter.

I couldn't find much else to use but this particular milter and a few Perl
things. If SPF is starting to take off, I guess I'd better get on the ball.

Thanks loads,

Steve