OT: GreetPause delay

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu May 26 02:55:51 IST 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Schmitt, Andy C - JHSS wrote:

> I've used greet_pause on my home server for about a year with a pause
> of 31
> seconds (some may consider this high), and it's blocked almost every
> zombie
> PC connection attempt with only one or two false positives.

I use 30 seconds, and I have had 2 false positives (.mac and one
other).  In the case of .mac, Apple's sysadmins decided to become RFC
compliant.

In the other case, which is run by a friend of a friend, they're still
discussing it.  Though, in that case, they got rejected the first time,
and then the 2nd time they came through ... from a different IP
address.  I suspect they have their main server, handling high volume,
set up to be impatient, and if that fails, they send the message out
through a secondary server which is more patient.

The only external exception I have made, "just in case" it ever comes
up, is verizon.  I have them set for 10 seconds.  I heard their
call-back interface times out at 18 seconds, so I thought I'd give a
little bit of a window there for weirdness.

Otherwise, I have been VERY happy with our success rate.

(at work, we're a little more conservative, but it does produce
noticeable results)