OT: GreetPause delay

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu May 26 02:47:30 IST 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 1:54 PM, William Burns wrote:

> For example, a mail server hosting very active mailing list(s) might
> easily have to send 10 pieces of  mail per second. If each copy of the
> MTA got hung-up for 10 seconds for each piece of mail, then aside from
> copies of the MTA actually doing work, there'd be another 100 instances
> of the MTA in memory waiting for prompts.
>
> I'm glad that this feature will respect a whitelist in access.db.
> That leaves open the possibility that someone could at least add on a
> feature that culls mail logs for good IP addresses, and drops a
> whitelist in the access.db file.
> Without that, it seems like it'd cause a scalability issue for the
> mail-carrying internet.

Or wait for the heavy MTA that is trying to send you mail to notice
"hmm, looks like they're using greet_delay", and they send you an email
saying "can you give us an exception?"

I would personally prefer to have such a postmaster _ask_ me for an
exception, instead of trying to guess which heavy mail volumes I get
are legit and which are not.