MailScanner children dying and not picking up new mail

Brent Emerson brent at ELECTRICEMBERS.NET
Wed May 25 22:26:22 IST 2005

I'm seeing the same behavior that was reported by Nigel Kennedy in the
thread "MailScanner occasionally not picking up from the hold queue" and
which is detailed in Debian bug #305239
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=305239): An MS child
dies of old age, another child is spawned, and the new process never picks
up any messages from the hold queue.  Eventually, all my MS children are
in state "sleeping" and all incoming mail accumulates in the hold queue.
A stop/start restores things to normal.  The problem almost always seems
to occur exactly 4 hours after my automated 23:10 MS restart (3:10am),
when system load is low.

My system: FreeBSD 4.9, Postfix 2.2.2, MailScanner 4.41.3, SpamAssassin
3.0.3, ClamAV 0.85.  Most or all of my relevant perl modules are the
latest versions, which in some cases may be later than what Julian
recommends.

Has there been a resolution/diagnosis of this yet?  Any clues?  Any debug
work I can do?

Brent Emerson

----Electric Embers: Powering the fires of change--------------------
  NPOGroups  |  NPOMail  |  NPOShield  |  web/database/email hosting
----http://electricembers.net--------A member of N-TEN and NoBAWC----