Authenicating users

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Tue May 24 12:22:39 IST 2005

Hi

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Mike wrote:

> When I telnet the SMTP port on the mail server with the highest priority (mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us) something goes wrong:
>
> # telnet mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us 25
> Trying 199.58.52.9...
> Connected to mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us.
> Escape character is '^]'.

This is a commonly seen but very uninformative response that is quite
valid.  There is nothing wrong with the server.  The 220 means "Service
ready" and can be followed by almost anything you want after that.  I
suspect that this response comes from older Sun servers running Solaris.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service