Authenicating users

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sat May 21 23:56:04 IST 2005

Doc Schneider wrote:

> Drew Marshall wrote:
>
>> Doc Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running MS on my secondary MX server and was wondering if there
>>> is a
>>> way for it to (possibly through a map file?) find the valid users for
>>> the domains I secondary. I would like  to stop the spammers from
>>> hitting
>>> me with, literally, thousands of dictionary (unknown users) attacks?
>>>
>>> I'm using all kinds of RBLs and blacklists but still getting a lot
>>> slipping through.
>>>
>>> Oh running Sendmail 8.13.4 on it as well. With delay_checks,
>>> greet_pause
>>> and all the goodies.
>>>
>>> I'm not running an LDAP server, but could I suppose for this.
>>

>> Or indeed SQL or copy the map files from the primary (Depending on your
>> primary's MTA). I suggest having a look at the wiki, which has got some
>> good examples (The address is in the footer of all the list postings)
>>
>> Drew
>

> Drew,
>
> I had looked all over sendmail.org and did a search on the wiki. Nothing
> jumped out at me. Using the same version of Sendmail on all my servers.
>
> Any particular wiki entry you would recommend?

Oops, caught with my trousers down :-(  There is a pretty good
instruction set for Postfix here
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=&idx=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to
but I hadn't realised that no one has written the instructions for
Sendmail! Personally I don't do Sendmail (My preferred MTA is Postfix
and I put some of the docs on the wiki for Postfix, hence I knew they
were there!) so I am struggling to help much more. Your better bet might
to explore the milters suggested by others.

> I do run SQL servers on all my boxen. And my user base very rarely
> changes. So you think adding something like:
>
> @maddoc.net     ERROR:550 no such user here
> maddoc at maddoc.net       maddoc at mail.maddoc.com
>
> into like the virtusertable would work?

It should do.