Semi-OT: installing MS on an old redhat box - perl version?

John Wilcock john at TRADOC.FR
Thu May 19 08:19:16 IST 2005

Sorry for the off-topic, but I know many here will have the necessary
experience...

I've inherited a colocated redhat 7.2 box. Upgrading the OS is not an
option. This box originally had perl 5.6.0 and has been updated to 5.6.1
using the official redhat rpm for rh7.2.

I now want to install MailScanner, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, MailWatch, etc.
on the box. Can I stick with perl 5.6.1 or would I be better going to
5.8.x? If I choose to (or need to) upgrade perl, what's the best and
cleanest way of going about it? I'd like to avoid the horror situations
we sometimes hear about on this list and elsewhere when boxes have
multiple versions of perl installed, or remnants of old versions.

Would I be better off letting CPAN upgrade perl for me, or should I get
a recent fedora SRPM and rebuild it, or what?

John.

--
-- Over 2500 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages    - www.tradoc.fr