Outgoing Queue Dir

Chuck Foster chuck.foster at STREAMSHIELD.COM
Fri May 13 17:38:57 IST 2005

Hi,

I think I need some clarification over what the "Outgoing Queue Dir"
directive does, as the tests I've just done have confused me a bit.

Is this meant to be a sendmail queue directory, or should it be something
else? I've always assumed the former, but I might have misunderstood the
comment in the configuration file.

The reason I'm asking is because I've recently switched the test machine
over to using multiple directories for the sendmail queue; incoming works
fine in that it picks up the message from whichever directory sendmail
decides to put it in, but for outgoing it would appear to only place the
message in the uppermost directory (/var/spool/mqueue.out) - specifying
/var/spool/mqueue.out/q.* is a syntax error.

This would mean that sendmail never sees the message to send (assuming it
re-queues - I had my outbound running in queueonly mode to see where the
files end up).

So, I'm guessing that though MailScanner can handle an incoming multiple
queue split, it cannot handle an outgoing one?

(interestingly the admin notice must have called my sendmail.out okay as
that is in the proper sendmail queue ready for outbound delivery!)

The only thing I can think of atm is to use one of the real sendmail queue
directories in the "Outgoing Queue Dir" field, ie. something like
/var/spool/mqueue.out/q.1 ... but this does seem a bit artificial (and loses
the advantage of multiple queues on a really busy machine).

Does that make sense?
Chuck

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy
by an authorized signatory.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and potentially
harmful content by StreamShield Protector.