sender verification

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Wed May 11 16:10:26 IST 2005

Some caveats:

I believe this feature is only available in sendmail 8.13.x

The 30 second delay may be a bit much. Our testing indicates that we get
substantial valid spam rejections at 15000 (15 seconds) and don't seem to
have any false positives. I remember seeing some warnings about some large
ISP's balking at much over 25 seconds. Most spammers will take very little
delay :)

Also you can define systems that do not get any delay in your
/etc/mail/access file:

        # systems that get no greet_pause delay
        192.168.123.1           0
        10.1.1.100                      0

Descriptions of this and other 8.13.x features can be found at:

http://www.technoids.org/dossed.html#1.1.

These include:
        Limiting the Rate of Incoming Connections
        Limiting Simultaneous Connections
        Thwarting Dictionary Attacks
        Blocking Slammers with the greet_pause Feature

I would be good to hear from MailScanners who have implemented any of these
features. We're still testing right now.

Steve

Steve Swaney
President
Fortress Systems Ltd.