feedback on install.sh

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Thu May 12 02:55:20 IST 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 18:29, Julian Field wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
>
>> 1) it would be nice if, when looking for perl, if it finds multiple
>> copies (like /usr/bin/perl and /usr/local/bin/perl), if it would check
>> to see if one is a symlink to the other, and then do the right thing.
>
> That one's a bit awkward, is it vital?

It's not vital, but it is annoying.  Is it that awkward?  Why not load
all found perls into an array, then (warning, inefficient code follows,
but shouldn't be a problem for most systems):

for ($i = 0 ; $i <= $#perlbinaries ; $i++) {
    # replace any instances that are symlinks with their targets
    # and keep doing it until it's not a symlink anymore, or
    # the target doesn't exist
    while ((-e $perlbinaries[$i]) && (-l $perlbinaries[$i])) {
      $perlbinaries[$i] = readlink($perlbinaries[$i]);
       }
    }

# insure that duplicates will be consecutive
@perlbinaries = sort (@perlbinaries);

# too bad there isn't a uniq() like there is a grep() and sort()
for ($i = 0 ; $i <= $#perlbinaires ; $i++) {
       # iteratively remove duplicates
       while ($perlbinaries[$i] eq $perlbinaries[($i + 1)]) {
          splice(@perlbinaries, ($i + 1), 1);
          }
       }

if ($#perlbinaries > 0) {
    # complain about multiple perl binaries
    }
# otherwise, keep running, using $perlbinaries[0] as your perl engine

>> 2) if it can't find GNU tar as tar, it should look for gtar
>
> Done. Please try the attached install.tar-fns.sh.

What's the difference between install.sh and install.tar-fns.sh?  I ran
the former when I installed ...

>> 3) it keeps complaining that:
>>
>> Your perl and your Config.pm seem to have different ideas about the
>> architecture they are running on.
>> Perl thinks: [sun4-solaris]
>> Config says: [sun4-solaris]
>> This may or may not cause problems. Please check your installation of
>> perl
>> if you have problems building this extension.
>
> This one can't easily be avoided,
> Sorry.

No problem, I just wanted to be sure that it is known and/or harmless.

>> 4) I also got lots of these errors:
>>
>> Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline at
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 168.
>>
>> during the test phases for installation of MIME-tools-5.417 and
>> Archive-Zip-1.14
>
> That sounds like a fault in DynaLoader.pm or something that is being
> passed to them. I suspect that is outside of my control.

Probably.  Hopefully it wont actually cause problems.