feedback on install.sh

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 12 02:29:12 IST 2005

John Rudd wrote:

> 1) it would be nice if, when looking for perl, if it finds multiple
> copies (like /usr/bin/perl and /usr/local/bin/perl), if it would check
> to see if one is a symlink to the other, and then do the right thing.

That one's a bit awkward, is it vital?

> 2) if it can't find GNU tar as tar, it should look for gtar

Done. Please try the attached install.tar-fns.sh.

> 3) it keeps complaining that:
>
> Your perl and your Config.pm seem to have different ideas about the
> architecture they are running on.
> Perl thinks: [sun4-solaris]
> Config says: [sun4-solaris]
> This may or may not cause problems. Please check your installation of
> perl
> if you have problems building this extension.

This one can't easily be avoided, it's Perl doing a sanity check that I
don't want. The only other option is to try to modify the Config.pm file
deep in your Perl installation, which I may well not be able to do if
for example your Perl installation is NFS-mounted read-only.
Sorry.

> 4) I also got lots of these errors:
>
> Unsuccessful stat on filename containing newline at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 168.
>
> during the test phases for installation of MIME-tools-5.417 and
> Archive-Zip-1.14

That sounds like a fault in DynaLoader.pm or something that is being
passed to them. I suspect that is outside of my control.

--
Julian Field