sender verification

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Wed May 11 12:41:59 IST 2005

To do this properly Julian would have to write a fairly complete SMTP
engine. He would have to handle everything from (e)helo through rcpt to: and
all the potential return codes in each step. Then he would have to write
something to handle deferrals (would have to work out a caching/retry
mechanism) and of course your basic dns lookups, making sure to handle
invalid mx records, basically it would be a rather large undertaking. He may
not have to work out the delivery mechanism but he would have to write
something that could act as a rfc compliant MTA in terms of delivery,
otherwise your concern about FPs would be realized in a hurry.

I use callout verification on all of our servers and don't have a lot of
problems. The biggest thing I see is companies that send mail with bogus
local parts, thinking since it's a mailing they don't have to use a real
user. Callout verification's purpose is to ensure that a bounce message
could actually be delivered if required. If someone is using an email
address (or reply to) that isn't valid their mail should be dropped, they do
have a problem. You will find that a lot of spam never makes it to MS and
you can easily grep the failures out of you mail log to peruse each day.

Rick

> > >Hi Julian
> > >
> > >I see that there has been some discussion earlier about the use of
> > >milter-sender with sendmail to verify that the sender's
> address does exist
> > >before accepting mail.  That then allows mail to be rejected
> at connection
> > >time if the sender's address seems to be fraudulent.
> > >
> > >I like the idea behind milter-sender, but would much prefer it to be
> > >integrated with MailScanner rather than sendmail, so that
> false positives
> > >(eg no-reply type addresses and other mail blocked due to problems that
> > >are sure to arise) result in mail being quarantined rather
> than bounced.
> > >Is this an option that you would be interested in accepting on the
> > >wishlist for future development of MailScanner?
> > >
> > >Regards
> > >
> > >Jim Holland
> > >System Administrator
> > >MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service
> > >
> > >------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
> > >'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
> > >Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
> > >the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
> > >
> > >Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!
> > >

> > --
> > Julian Field
> > www.MailScanner.info
> > Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
> > Professional Support Services at www.MailScanner.biz
> > MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support
> >
> > PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654

> > 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
> > Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
> > the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

> Regards
>
> Jim Holland
> System Administrator
> MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.