Need Recommendations

Fri May 6 17:33:00 IST 2005

Derek

ah ok, then make sure you

1) use the surbl.org URI-rbls, these are built into 3.x but need a patch
for 2.6x (all available on the web site that tells you how to enable,
patch etc). You still need to enable it in SA3.x but its easy todo.

2) drip feed extra rules from www.rulesemporium.com into
/etc/mail/spamassassin and watch for improvements. rinse, repeat etc.
I've got most of the rules in there on my system and they help immensely.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Derek Catanzaro wrote:
> I haven't made any modifications to the standard rulesets that come with
> spamassassin and mailscanner, so I'm just using the defaults. I did
> however make the following $LANG change and it seems to have cleared up
> some of my delay issues (found this on Spamassassin's web site, when I
> did and "echo $LANG" it displayed utf8)
> Are you using the default $LANG setting? Do this:
> echo $LANG
> If it contains "utf8", then that's probably the problem. Change it so it
> does not contain "utf8" (see RedHatMalformedUtf8
> <http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RedHatMalformedUtf8>), and the
> performance issues will clear up.
> Run the following to fix: ^ÓLANG=en_US; export LANG^Ô
>
> I have upgraded my outdated MX server running on FC1 to the following:
> mailscanner-4.41.3-1
> spamassassin 3.0.3
>
> I was getting slammed with SPAM this week and the upgrade has helped. I
> continue to get quite a few SPAM messages regarding stock quotes that
> are driving my users crazy so I need to figure out how to stop these
> emails. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and if you may have any
> insight on the SPAM I continue to receive I have included the header
> info on one of them.
>
> HEADER FROM ONE OF THE STOCK SPAM MSGS
>
> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:54:49 +0500
> From: "Jessie Stern" <gkxfbl at creativecircus.net>
> Subject: US h0t st0ck highlights
> To: <rlett at packagingcorp.com>
>
> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>
>> Derek
>>
>> any difference in the rules you are running on the FC1 system to the FC2
>> system? Any extras in /etc/mail/spamassassin and any RBL's etc.
>> --
>> Martin Hepworth
>> Snr Systems Administrator
>> Solid State Logic
>> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>>

>> Derek Catanzaro wrote:
>>
>>> 2 MX servers with the following
>>>
>>> Dual 933Mhz 1 Gig of memory
>>> FC1 (mailscanner and spamassassin need to be upgraded)
>>> mailscanner-4.31.6-1
>>> spamassassin-2.63
>>>
>>> 1.7Mhz 512 Memory (desktop)
>>> FC2
>>> mailscanner-4.40.11-1
>>> spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>>>
>>> I am experiencing a slow down in the delivery/processing of email on my
>>> MailScanner servers. I receive roughly 50,000 emails on a daily basis
>>> and if there is a delay in the processing of any emails it can get
>>> backed up very quickly. I'm not sure if it is a DNS timing issue?,
>>> would anyone recommend using local DNS in this case, or does anyone use
>>> it and have they seen improvements? Can anyone recommend anything in
>>> the MailScanner.conf file that may help?
>>>
>>> I have "Max children" set to 10 on the server with dual process and 5 on
>>> the server with one processor, and "queue scan interval" is set to 6 on
>>> both servers as well. I am using Clamav as my virus scanner. Please
>>> let me know if you need additional info, and thanks in advance for your
>>> assistance.
>>>
>>> Derek

> Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website
> !

the system manager.