Postfix 2.2 and hashed mail queues

Remy de Ruysscher remy at UNIX-ASP.COM
Thu Mar 31 20:19:41 IST 2005

Drew,

Thank your for bringing up this question, I was about to ask the same
thing.
I've found a temporary workaround which seems to work quite well.

add these lines to main.cf

hash_queue_depth = 2
hash_queue_names = defer, deferred, hold

and make sure you have a cronjob something like this:

# Remy - Postfix 2.2 / Mailscanner workaround
*/5     *       *       *       *       root    test -x
/usr/local/sbin/postfix && /usr/local/sbin/postfix reload
*/5     *       *       *       *       root    test -x
/usr/local/sbin/postqueue && /usr/local/sbin/postqueue -f

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Remy

Drew Marshall wrote:
      Julian

      As of Postfix 2.2 Wietse has decided that it is no longer a
      requirement for Postfix to run hashed mail queues (Because of
      advances in file systems). MailScanner insists on finding
      hashed queue files. Now while it is possible to tell Postfix
      to hash incoming and deferred (As required by MS) but Postfix
      only makes the hash directories based on the incoming mail
      messages, e.g. message 0xxxxxxxxxx arrives, hash directory
      /var/spool/postfix/incoming/0 is created, no others. In the
      mean time MailScanner is throwing out errors to log and is
      not processing mail until it finds all the hash directories.
      Even if I make them manually, when I stop and start or even
      re-load Postfix they are removed.

      Is there any way that you could get MS to check which type of
      queue it has and process accordingly? I have had to roll back
      to Postfix 2.1.5 just to get mail moving.

      Thanks

      Drew

      --
      In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for
      viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is

      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the
      website!

 --
met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,

Remy de Ruysscher
remy at unix-asp.com
----

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?