[SA-SPAM] Re: Julian, [SA-SPAM] and the lovely AWL

Dave Duffner - PSCGi webalizer at NWCWEB.COM
Thu Mar 31 20:16:35 IST 2005

Julian,

        In the case of the Virus stuff, yep we're using a heavily
modified version that is assigning some points, but not enough
to cause the tag in this specific case.  There's two other rogue
tags for .biz & .info that are coming up, but those are easily
handled (or just eliminated as they're really not as accurate as
they used to be when they were created originally with the expansion
of the TLD's of late).

        On the AWL, at least in Ensim Pro's outlay it's got them
in the individual user files.  Went for the root thing awhile
back, couldn't find it, checked again recently, same thing.  But
once I found the potential pathway to the individual users, there
it was with those Bayes files as well.

        On straight server setups without an HSP hosting software
like Enism, cPanel, Plesk, etc. or potentially a straight install
without someone like Ensim mucking it up, it should have been a
large-scale gang file.

        In Ensim's case, since many things are chroot'ed to the
point of insanty (for the sake of security?) they implemented a
MailScanner/SA/ClamAV package into the latest 4.XX revisions
that gives the individual users some control over what happens
to the spam.  Since that's the case, it creates individual profiles,
Bayes, AWL's and the rest of the goodies.  Not saying it's the
best layout, but it's what we've got to work with.  Would have
rather installed it from scratch, but Ensim has a way of producing
destructive updates that find installs (no matter where they came
from) and obliterating them to replace it with their packaged
goodies.  I believe cPanel & Plesk are much more forgiving in
this sense, but have tradeoffs vs. Ensim.

        Misconfigured or ignorant rulesets we can deal with easily.
The rampant and non-configurable AWL averaging system is the one
that needs a swift kick!  But at least there's a way to disarm it
and move forward.  But again, that's an SA issue.

        Any thoughts on the random MS scanning of packets though?

        Thanks!

        Dave