MailScanner beta 4.40.8 release

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 28 15:59:08 IST 2005

G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have one system in which my whitelists seem to be completely ignored.
> I have these lines in MailScanner.conf:
>
> %rules-dir% = /etc/MailScanner/rules
>
> Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules
> Allow Form Tags = %rules-dir%/formtag.whitelist.rules
> Allow Script Tags = %rules-dir%/scripttag.whitelist.rules
>
> I'm pretty sure my rules are in the right place:
> [root at viscount rules]# pwd
> /etc/MailScanner/rules

As long as your %rules-dir% is pointing to the directory containing your
ruleset files (*.rules) then they can be anywhere on your system. There
is nothing magic about /etc/MailScanner/rules.

> I've carefully examined the actual filenames about a dozen times to make
> sure I don't have any typos.
>
> This is the contents of formtag.whitelist.rules:
>
> From:   newsletter at webnames.ca        yes     #per Charlie
> From:   Continental_Airlines_Inc at coair.rsc01.com        yes     #per
> Shelly
> To:     charlier        yes
> To:     will    yes
> To:     bartoo  yes
> To:     shelly  yes

Those 4 "To" rules will be interpreted differently from how you think.
It cannot tell the difference between a username on its own and a domain
name on its own, so it assumes (wrongly, here) that it is a domain name.
So "shelly" will be interpreted as "*@shelly" which isn't what you want.
You want to use