Bayes Poisoning - How to combat ?

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Fri Mar 18 11:24:57 GMT 2005

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Dhawal Doshy wrote on         Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:58:58 +0530:
>

>>since bayes
>>is no more as effective as it used to be.
>>

> Oh, it is. Nearly all of our spam gets "bayes_99ed". It's the single most
> effective rule. It depends on your bayes db. F.i. ours has tokens back
> more than 12 months. If you follow the sa-talk list you will also see that
> there are high doubts that "bayes poison" actually works. If your bayes db
> fails on many spams than this can have many causes f.i. you didn't learn
> enough to it recently, or the wrong stuff or you are losing tokens too
> quickly by expiry or your customers do get a lot of mail which contains
> tokens which are also in spam or ... "bayes poison" is just the least
> worse explanation.
>
> Kai

No doubt bayes still works effectively (comes 2nd after SURBLs for me)..
just that SURBL is the *current killer tool* for fighting spam with very
(very) low FPs. And bayes can still be fooled once in a while OR needs
to learn sometimes.

As for 'bayes poison' i have never seen it happen but I rather use the
sare poison ruleset than take a chance.

btw no mails on the list for more than 24 hours.. is the SPAM PROBLEM
finally over?

- dhawal