Releasing from quarantine

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Thu Mar 17 10:18:50 GMT 2005

This is a known issue with a known solution;).

Search the MailScanner archives for "Problems releasing a message"
for the current solution (it's unfortunately not in one message...
I'm a "messy thinker", so the solution might look messy:-).

The problem is all in MailWath, and has to do with how it interacts
with your MTA.
Most common with postfix where you require a fully qualified HELO,
and the pear Mail::factory("smtp") will default to "localhost".
... This will also happen if you do specify a 'localhost' (used
for HELO), but don't qualify the QUARANTINE_FROM_ADDR.

Changes needed are:
In conf.php:
define(QUARANTINE_MAIL_HOST, "mail.example.com");
define(QUARANTINE_MAIL_HELO, "whatever.example.com");
define(QUARANTINE_FROM_ADDR, 'postmaster at example.com');
(QUARANTINE_MAIL_HOST and QUARANTINE_MAIL_HELO can be the same or
differ, depending on your needs).

in details.php, somewhere near line 271 (or so, I've got other
changes too:-)... Just search for "Mail::factory", you'll work it
out... Make it look like:
   // Fix by Glenn Steen, to set an arbitrary smtp host
   $mail_param = array('host' => QUARANTINE_MAIL_HOST, 'localhost' =>
QUARANTINE_MAIL_HELO);
   $body = $mime->get();
   $hdrs = $mime->headers($hdrs);
   $mail =& Mail::factory('smtp',$mail_param);

Make sure to undo the autowrapping my MUA is sure to do;).

And BTW, why are you working with this with a new kid at home!
This should be the fatiguing, but still great "learn to know"
stage... Well, my boys are 8 and 10 (years), so I might be
remembering only the good things, sort of:-).

HtH
-- Glenn