spamhaus-XBL

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Tue Mar 15 11:31:24 GMT 2005

Jason wrote on         Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:14:19 +0800:

> When a
> client send an email (not spam) with outlook express through our server, the
> receipient received the message regarded as spam. And the reason is
> "spamhaus-XBL".

Did you actually go and check there? If you do it tells you that IP is in CBL and if you go there:
http://cbl.abuseat.org/
you can read in the first sentences:

> We're getting a lot of reports of spurious blocking caused by sites using the CBL to block
> authenticated access to smarthosts / outgoing mail servers. THE CBL is only designed to be
> used on INCOMING mail, i.e. on the hosts that your MX records point to.

> Another way of putting this is: "Do not use the CBL to block your own users".

You should not use any kind of RBL for mail you relay for your users!
I think the best way to use RBLs is directly on the MTA. Choose two you really trust on
and let them work on the MTA and remove them all from MS or SA. (SMTP-AUTHed mail will be
exempted from RBL checks in sendmail if you use feature check_delay or what it's called.)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany