4.40.5 comment

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Mon Mar 14 15:19:50 GMT 2005

Being one of the people to have taken part in the Bayes thread, I felt
dutybound to try the new version 4.40.5 .  This has now been running for a
few hours on our low priority (high MX) campus gateway.  It seems fine so
far (although it hasn't had a chance to try an automatic rebuild).  So it
is looking good.  (If it looks stable for a day or so, I hope to install
it on our other, more heavily loaded, machines with "SpamAssassin Timeout"
set to something low enough to allow the new locking code to be seriously
tickled.)

But I did spot an entirely separate thing that seems suboptimal.  The
"MailScanner.conf" included the lines:
    Envelope From Header = X-MailScanner-From:
and
    Envelope To Header = X-MailScanner-To:

Wouldn't these be better as "X-%org-name%-MailScanner-From:" etc.?

This topic was discussed on May 21-22 2004, including a comment "All done.
I'll put out a beta very soon.".  Has something regressed?  (I vaguely
recall seeing these suboptimal "X-MailScanner" variants a few weeks ago,
so the regression, if any, is probably not recent.)

I also noticed that the new "spam.assassin.prefs.conf" includes new
(between 4.38.9 and 4.40.5) lines of the form:
    bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner

but I guess that there is no easy way of somehow automating these to be
effective as ""X-%org-name%-MailScanner[...]".  Is there?

Best wishes.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :