User unknown in virtual alias table

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sat Mar 12 22:05:55 GMT 2005

Steen, Glenn wrote:

 Hair of dog, eh Drew.... Is that good against hangovers ....? (I'll be needing *something* tomorrow, or else my choirleader will.... well, let's not go there.... Oh, not to mention the rotations JSBach will be doing in his tomb...:-).

Now I'm not sure if you have picked up on the English colloquialism 'hair
of dog' not it's literal phrase. Hair of dog is referred to as the first
beer in the bar the following morning (For example) as opposed to the fur
of a canine :-) . One will add to your hangover but if taken in
sufficient quantity will help you forget it (Although pickle your liver!)
the other will make you feel ruff (Sorry couldn't resist :-) ).

 ... Would it be entirely unacceptable to "fix" this in documentation... "don't do that" type of thing?

I don't know how tricky it will be to fix the code TBH (I code like a
sysadmin ;-) ). There is no reason why the docs can't read that for
Postfix you can't enter virtual aliases. I'm not sure I personally like
it as I prefer things to work (TM) but it is a work round. It's a pain
that Postfix insists on doing it's virtual alias lookups in the cleanup
stage after either pickup (Injected messages) or smtpd (SMTP input)
before MailScanner gets to look at it. This document here
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html details it rather
well. See the table about 1/3rd down the page. That specifies which
Postfix component does the address rewriting for aliases.

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for
viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is