User unknown in virtual alias table

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Mar 10 22:13:20 GMT 2005

Rodney Green wrote:

>> What is mail2? Is that an alias for mail4? (i.e. they are the same
>> machine)
>

> mail2 is an alias for mail4.. they both point to the same machine.
>

>> Which way would you like to go, virtual or local?
>>

> I think virtual for no other reason then I have used it for a long time
> now and have scripts that use it.

I've had a longer look at this now and I think you have found a little
bug for Julian to add to his work stack :-(

Julian

How are you forwarding the spam to Postfix? It looks like you just
dumping the output into the out going queue? If so it is not being
cleaned up and aliases resolved by either the pickup or trivial-rewrite
processes so the qmanager just bounces the mail as undeliverable. I have
tried it on my system here and proved it. If you specify a local address
or alias as the forward address it works fine (No aliasing required so
the qmgr just delivers it), if you specify a virtual domain address it
gets bounced. The clue is here in the log:

Mar  8 08:43:53 proxy postfix/error[17012]: 832783132D:
to=<rgreen at trayerproducts.com>, orig_to=<unknown>, relay=none, delay=6,
status=bounced (user unknown in virtual alias table)

Notice the orig_to line is unknown. That should have the original to
address in it and the to= should be the aliased address (i.e. where it
is being delivered to).

> Thanks for your help Drew!

No problems

Drew