MailScanner setting score ALL_TRUSTED 0???!!!! - SA trust paths; doing it correctly?

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Thu Mar 10 12:39:34 GMT 2005

Julian

I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread here that will help
clarify the issues arising from Matt Kettler's comments about
ALL_TRUSTED.

I believe what I have done now correctly specifies and exploits the SA
"trust path" features.

I have removed "score ALL_TRUSTED 0" from
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

This line is replaced by two sets of new SA preferences in that file:

1. A block of "trusted_networks ..." lines.

These are simply the network IP blocks that I already define in the
"Spam Checks = %rules-dir%/Spam_Checks.rules" file and which have "no"
as the action. That is to say I don't want MS treating mail fromn these
sources as spam and I don't want SA to do DNSBL checks on them. I
"trust" them because they are all within our campus network.

2. A block of "internal_networks ..." lines.

There is an "internal_networks ..." record for the IP address of each of
the 8 mail relays that host our 50+ mail domains. Note that these
addresses are also included in the trusted_networks address blocks
specified above.

It is important (as I understand it) that I exclude from the
"internal_networks ..." records the one mail relay we allow our
external/peripatetic users to specify as their SMTP host in POP, etc,
mailers. If I include the IP address of this host in the list then any
connections to it from hosts listed in the DYNABLOCK RBL would have a
HELO_DYNAMIC_* score added to their SA total scores.

Note that you might already be seeing contributions from HELO_DYNAMIC_*
SA rules because in the absence of _both_ "trusted_networks" and
"internal_networks" definitions, SA will try to infer what are the
"trusted" hosts in your network. However it is not always possible to do
this automatically. If SA gets its guesses wrong this can lead to an
increase in both FNs and FPs. Hence it is safer to do it explicitly as
above.

I hope I have understood things correctly. If not would someone who
understands this part of SA better let me know immediately - I am
running with the above setup in "spam.assassin.prefs.conf" now!!

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.